Published: Wednesday, 26 April 2023
Solar panels require sunlight to create energy. So as soon as its dark you’ll be back to using power from the grid. Having a battery means the surplus solar energy can be fed into the battery. As the United Kingdom transitions to a greener, cleaner future, we must take every opportunity to decarbonise our power generation. Combine solar power with battery storage and you have a renewable energy system. In this article we will be providing an overview of solar and battery storage and how they work together.
Solar energy is the energy generated from the sun to create energy through the use of solar panels. Solar energy is a great renewable energy that is one of the world’s leading strategies as we push for carbon neutral. The biggest downside to solar is the limited duration we have of it. Sunlight will vary throughout the year and cloudy days will also affect how much sunlight we get during the day. Solar panels are used to absorb the solar energy and power up your electrical appliances in your home.
The more we improve our solar energy, the less we will have to rely on fossil fuels to power our homes and buildings. The implementation of a solar energy system could give you these advantages:
- Renewable Energy Source – Solar energy is a renewable energy, meaning we won’t run out of it (well, at least for 5 billion years). Another great thing about this is that solar energy is accessible to everyone on the planet, there are areas that struggle due to duration of light they get during the day and weather conditions but overall, everyone can use solar energy to their benefit.
- Low Maintenance Costs – Once your solar panels have been installed, they require little maintenance. Solar panels have an average lifespan of around 25 years, so it can be a great way to help you save money.
- Technological Development – Solar energy storage is still relatively new technology. As professionals begin to understand more about solar energy, the technology around it will improve and will become more efficient and effective.
Solar energy systems are great for the environment and can potentially save you money. It is important to take note of some of the issues and negatives you may face when looking to purchase a solar energy system.
- Cost – Although having solar panels can help you save money in the long term, the initial cost can be quite expensive as there is a lot of equipment needed for a solar system however, as previously mentioned, the technological developments and improvements to the equipment used will bring these prices down.
- Roof Type Matters – Depending on the style of your house depends on how effective your solar energy system will be. The orientation and pitch of your roof will affect the production of Solar, please ensure that your roof is suitable for a solar PV system. Generally, East, South, and West systems are suitable, but we would recommend avoiding North facing roof’s unless there are benefits that outway the loss of production.
- Sunlight dependent – Solar energy, requires the sun (we know, it’s crazy!) It does mean however, that the amount of energy you generate during a day is weather dependent. Although, you can still use solar power even on cloudy days, you won’t create enough power to consistently power your home. This is mainly an issue for countries that have sporadic weather (yes, we’re looking at you England.)
For solar energy systems it is always important to be aware of the potential issues you could face, however with proper research and prep for when you decide to commit to one the positives will outweigh the negatives.
Battery storage is a great addition to any solar energy system. This will allow you to get the best from your system and allows you to still use your solar energy during the evenings. How it works is that while you are getting energy from your solar panels to heat your home and other electrical appliances, with a battery storage system installed it will store some of your excess energy within the battery. This means that when it becomes evening and you are no longer able to use your solar energy, your battery will kick in and power your house without the need of you switching to regular means of energy which is currently the use of fossil fuels. It is important to note that an inverter/battery system can only support so much of the evenings electricity use depending on the load of the property and the capacity/discharge rate of the inverter/battery.
Battery storage is a perfect addition to your solar panels and is a great way to help reduce the world’s use of fossil fuels. Advantages of a battery storage system include:
- Reduce use of fossil fuels – as previously stated, having a battery storage system means that you are still able to use your solar energy during the night, and this will reduce how much fossil fuel you use during the year. Once you implement an electric vehicle (which will be a legal requirement in 2030) it will reduce an individual’s use of fossil fuels even less.
- Reduced electric bills – with an implementation of both a solar and battery storage system you are able to save considerable amounts on your electric bill each month. You can also take advantage of off-peak times and store energy from the grid during those times to use during peak time so there are multiple ways a battery storage system can help save you money.
- Monitoring – With the technological advancements of our energy systems, it’s never been easier to monitor where your electrical energy is going to. Having this kind of technology makes it easier for you to see where your money is going and will help you make changes to help you save money as well.
As always, with positives there are also drawbacks to a battery storage system, it is important to be aware of before you make the decision to jump into a full battery and solar storage system.
- Cost – Similar to a solar energy system, the initial cost of battery storage is high. The technology currently used for these systems are still relatively new and with updates to the technology it is likely that the overall price will drop in the future.
- Safety – Like many products and systems, if these aren’t installed correctly, it comes with a high risk. The risks can include the battery overheating and potentially catching fire, so it is very important to make sure you hire the right person for the job to install your battery storage.
Battery storage solutions work great with solar however, being aware of the risks is important to make sure you make the right decisions regarding a solar and battery storage system.
Solar and battery storage is a renewable energy system that looks to be the future of home energy. Without relying on the grid means a reduced use of fossil fuels. Imagine that but for every household in the UK?
We hope you’ve found this article interesting. At YESSS Electrical, we offer a solar PV design service for anyone who’s looking to invest in some solar panels for their home. To learn more, you can contact your local YESSS branch.